What is Stammer and what are its causes ? Stammer or Stutter is not the disease itself but the condition or the symptom caused by a disease / disorder. Causes for stammer and its intensity are individualistic.
Causes can be purely genetic, psychological or due to some sort of brain injury. Associated conditions with stammer that I have come across in my practice are depression, anxiety, lack of self confidence, frustration or so on….
Social issues they often have to deal with include humiliation, ignorance, bullying at workplace and school and much more. Family and care giver role is of significant importance in maintaining one’s self confidence and self esteem.
I have listed few suggestions for family and care givers as below:
- Stammer doesn’t mean that they have nothing to say. They have right to express themselves and speak in their own words. So, do not be hasty and take some time to listen to them.
- Don’t try to complete their sentences by yourself. Don’t burden them by your interpretations like.. “I understand. Do you mean to say that………!”. You might feel that this might be helping them out but in fact you take away their chance of speaking out on their own.
- Stay with them whenever and wherever they need you and provide adequate emotional support to them.
- There are number of therapies which are complimentary with Reiki in this condition,
- Martial-arts therapy : Use of Vocal chord is enhanced when someone practices skills of Martial arts.
- Auto-suggestion therapy : Type of meditation, where one is taught to give commands/ directions to himself.
- Homoeopathic medicine
- Animal assistant therapy : keeping parrots and encouraging your child to repeat its word can also be helpful.
- Try to find alternate words for words that are difficult enough to pronounce. For example, if someone has concerns for spelling letter “X” in word Box, try using word Carton and demonstrate its size/shape.
For Reiki Therapy and Alternative Medicine Counselling, contact me on email@example.com. Wishing you a Healthy life forever.”